<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d15269165\x26blogName\x3dMusings+of+the+Dings\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://dinghome.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://dinghome.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d6645860395718618596', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://dinghome.net/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 05, 2005

Adoption Reflections

As our little girl's homecoming is drawing closer, I can't help but reflect on several seemingly uneventful memories that paved the way for adopting a little girl from China.

The most interesting and vivid memory was the time when Evers and I vacationed in Annapolis, MD. This was shortly after we were married and childless. My husband and a friend went in to a grocery store, and I waited outside. While waiting, a lady approached me and asked, “Are you Chinese? Do you know how to read Chinese?” I was a bit startled because my kind was not common there and to be approached like that was just weird. She very kindly told me that she and her husband were adopting a little girl from China, and they just got the referral, but most of the documents were in Chinese. She was glad to spot a Chinese person at a shopping center and was hoping I could help her translate. I did the best I could but felt bad that I couldn't translate everything for her. So, that was my very first encounter with adoption. I believe God orchestrated this encounter. I always looked back to this and wondered if there was more than what meets the eye.

Another encounter was when we first joined our church. A family there just announced that they adopted their second baby from Asia. I was intrigued because this family has 6 of their own, 1 adopted Asian girl, and now a newly adopted Asian boy. Being new to the church, I didn't know them but I decided to approach the wife and asked about how they came to adopt 2 children from Asia. We chatted for a long while and then I finally said, “Well, adoption is something we're interested in but of course not now. Maybe it's something we'll do far far down the road.” I already had Matthew then and was pregnant with Andrew so the thought of adopting a baby was far from my mind. What caught me a bit by surprise was what the wife said in response to my comment. I don't remember exactly what she said, but the gist was, “God may have a different plan than yours. God may just change your mind." At that moment I thought, “Oh no, I think she may be right.” Somehow I just knew that our adoption plan was going to come sooner than later. She was right after all. It was as if her words were prophetic.

Lastly, a friend of ours asked my husband a theological question about widows and how the church should care for them. James 1:27 was discussed:
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
It was interesting that our friend's question regarding widows prompted us to discuss and think about the orphans. James 1:27 is clear that God cares about widows as well as orphans. Both of us were convicted that night. After putting it off for a day, both of us decided individually that we wanted to pursue adoption.

Now, there you have it, my personal reflections and how we have come to where we are now. I stated earlier that these events seemed uneventful at the moment, but looking back I am convinced that God used these circumstances to bring about a new blessing into our lives for His glory.